Friday, December 3, 2010

Artisan Snapshot: Heather Logsdon of Heathered


  • Who are you? And what drives to you create!?
I'm Heather of Heathered- backpacker, musician, and tragically seasick ocean-lover. I hand-make everything in my San Francisco studio from materials that would otherwise end up in landfills- vintage newspapers, maps, postcards, books, airline safety cards, scraps of fabric. 
I create to share with others. Every wallet I make has had a former life. My vintage postcard wallets are the best example of this. One postcard was sent from Germany to San Francisco in 1962 and ended up in a thrift store in 2010. The writer told his friend the museum was closed so he walked around the countryside and made friends with a goat, also to say hello to his cat. The person that bought the wallet wrote the 1962 postcard recipient a letter and asked about her trip and enclosed a photo of herself holding her former postcard that I had made into a wallet. We never heard back from the recipient but the people that live in the Larkin St. apartment now probably had a good time reading the letter. I call them "Found Adventures Furthered". 
Marshall Half Stack guitar amp felt wallet w/ pick pocket
by Heathered - $22 USD
 When & why did you start your Etsy shop?

I opened my Etsy shop in December 2007. My first sale was about 3 minutes after I listed my first wallet. I was hooked. 

It all started after I made a few painted canvas wallets for friends and family. That turned into me sitting at the sewing machine after work, cranking out mustache wallets and cat toys shaped like speech bubbles and Narwhallets (wallets with narwhals on them). I didn't need more than one (or maybe two) wallets and I didn't have any cats. It seemed creepy to keep the stockpile I had amassed so my Etsy shop was created so I'd look like less of a crazy cat lady. 

  • What other favourite hobbies/activities do you enjoy?
Scooting and band practice are my two favorite activities. My trusty Vespa S150, Sergio, will soon appear on a new wallet design and I just joined a newly forming orchestral indie-pop band called, Hungry Hungry Ghost. If anything is "meant" to be done, playing in a band is my thing. 

To find out a little more about Heathered, feel free to click on the following links:


PORTFOLIO // BLOG // ETSY //



Check out Heathered & 16 other artists at Winter Wonderland Craft Bazaar - Saturday December 4th, from 1PM to 9 PM at Urban Bazaar (1371 9th Ave, San Francisco).

No comments:

Post a Comment